As a Consultant Psychologist my expertise is at the intersection between Psychology, Education and Disability. I work with adults and young people and have a particular interest in working with Parents, Carers and young Adults . Some of the areas I work on include; Positive Parenting and Parent Coaching, Psychological Well-Being, Mental Fitness and Self-Compassion, Planning for transition from primary to post-primary, Working effectively with schools and Work/Life balance. My goal is to enable young people to realize their full potential through empowering, supporting and informing young people and their families. I work with young people aged 12 years plus, as well as adults and groups. My focus is on creating a safe and supportive space for you to be heard.
I am a Chartered Psychologist with the Psychology Society of Ireland, (PSI). Chartered Psychologists are listed on the PSI Directory of Psychologists and “must have the necessary qualifications and experience, commit to adhering to the PSI’s Code of Ethics, and continue to engage in their own continuing professional development every year”. This includes regular professional development and supervision.
I am registered with the British Psychology Society as a registered test user (RTQUK BPS).
I am an accredited Practitioner Coach with the European and Mentoring Coaching Council (EMCC)
I am Garda Vetted and a registered teacher with Teaching Council of Ireland at primary and post-primary level.
Qualifications: PhD., M.Sc., M.ED., M.Phil., B.Sc., B.A., H.Dip.Ed.
My journey so far…
I have extensive experience of Special Education Needs and Disability advocacy over the last 20 plus years. This includes work in residential settings for adults with Intellectual Disability, Special schools and alternative education provision settings for ‘at risk’ youths. I also worked as an NCSE advisor, (Behavior and Well-being) for over 5 years. As well as experiencing additional needs from a professional perspective I have direct experience of being ‘on the other side of the table‘ as a parent, patient and client. My experiences as I have navigated my way through neurodivergence, physical disability and additional educational needs, has helped me to understand how complex and frustrating this new world can seem to parents. Having experienced disability and difference from multiple perspectives, I came to the understanding that access to practical, realistic and evidence based support is vital for both parents and teachers in order to support young people to maximize their potential.
- Regional Advisor to Schools (Behavior and Wellbeing) -NBSS and National Council for Special Education
- Special Education Teacher – Multiple settings including Intellectual Disability, Complex needs, early school leavers and ‘at risk’ youth
- Lecturer (occasional)- I have designed and taught modules on Developmental Psychology, Educational Psychology and Inclusive Education for Hibernia College, St Nicholas Montessori college and UCC
- Former clients include: Tusla, Cork ETB, TTM Health, Downs Syndrome Cork and Family Carers Ireland
Education and Training
I hold multiple degrees in Psychology and Education. My doctoral studies at the University of Limerick examined Intellectual Disability, Stigma and Special Schools. I was awarded a Department of Children and Youth Affairs Research Scholarship and my research has been published in a number of peer-reviewed journals and is cited regularly. I am an advocate of life long learning and a strength of mine is a love of learning. As a Chartered Psychologist ongoing professional development is an essential part of my professional practice. Additional specialist training that I have completed includes;
- Dyslexia Assessment and Intervention
- Parenting; ADHD Parent coaching, Family Studies, Parents plus, Working things Out, Strength Switch, Emotion coaching
- Solution Focused Brief Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Sexual Health Promotion -HSE
- Applied Behavioral Analysis
- Nonviolent Crisis Intervention & Therapeutic Crisis Intervention
- Sensory Regulation- Sensory Processing, Alert program
- Friends for Life
Conferences, Talks and Public Engagement
I have delivered seminars and workshops to Family Carers Ireland, Downs Syndrome Cork, MyOTandMe, South Tipperary Autism Support Group and a variety of second level schools and Education centres. Other public engagement activities include podcasts, charity events and professional conferences.